"Ear to the Globe" playlist information - broadcast on 29/01/2018
On this week's programme:
A full-on jazzy start with Cuban pianist Omar Sosa's latest collaboration with Hamburg's NDR Big Band, Victor Assiss's early '70s Rio workout, and the fruits of Guillaume Barraud's studies with Hariprasad Chaurasia
And then there was Hugh Masakela, the soul of South African jazz and lifelong activist, R.I.P.
Brenda Navarrete is an Afro-Cuban singer and percussionist and Melissa Laveaux is a Haitian singer resident in Canada.
Boubacar Traoré acoustic Malian grooves have a US twist with fiddle, guitar and cello.
Caribbean native Gerald Toto joins forces with Cameroon's Richard Bona and Congo's Lokua Kanza.
Afrika Mamas are a six-piece South African female acapella outfit.
Chris Thile, prime mover of the Punch Brothers, has a new album of formidable articulacy.
Kyle Carey is American with Celtic roots, and Jim Kweskin is an old-time jug band American folk performer from way back.
Charles Duvelle's photographs and recordings are a valuable record of rural life in West, South and Central Africa, India and South-East Asia.
Steve Reich is a pioneer of modern musical composition.
Here is the playlist for "Ear to the globe" broadcast on Monday January 8th. The programme goes out every Monday at 10pm to midnight on 103.2FM and is available live at www.dublincityfm.ie
1. Omar Sosa & NDR Big Band: "Cha Cha du Nord". From "es:sensual" (Skip 2016).
2. Victor Assiss Brasil: "Quarenta Graus A Sombra". From "Esperanto" (Far Out 2017).
3. Guillaume Barraud Quartet: "Giant Leap". From "Arcana: The Indo Jazz Sessions" (Riverboat / World Music Network 2018).
4. Hugh Masakela: "Shango". From "No Borders" (Trapeze / Discovery 2017).
5. Hugh Masakela: "Send Me". From "Time" (Sony 2002).
6. Brenda Navarrete: "Rumbero como yo". From "Mi Mundo" (ALMA 2017).
7. Melissa Laveaux: "Le Ma Monte Chwal Mwen". From "Radyo Siwel" (No Format! 2018).
8. Boubacar Traoré: "Dis Lui Que Je L'Aime Comme Mon Pays". From "Dounia Tabolo" (Lusafrica 2017).
9. Toto Bona Lokua: "Je Kango". From "Bondeko" (No Format! 2018).
10. Afrika Mamas: "Thula Sana (A Lullaby)". From "Iphupho" (ARC 2017).
11. Chris Thile: "Feedback Loop". From "Thanks for Listening" (Nonesuch 2018).
12. Kyle Carey: "Siubhail a Ruin". From "The Art of Forgetting" (Riverboat / World Music Network 2018).
13. Jim Kweskin: "Spike Driver Blues". From "Jim Kweskin Unjugged" (Hornbeam 2017).
14. Inga Liljestrom: "Woman of Constant Sorrow". From "We Have Tigers" (Accords Croisés 2017).
15. Brigid Mae Power: "Grateful". From "The Two Worlds" (Tompkins Square 2018).
16. Madurai Ramaswamy Gautam: "Dhrupad - Raga Miyan Ki Todi". From "The Photographs of Charles Duvelle" (Sublime Frequencies 2017).
17. Steve Reich: "Quartet: II Slow" by Colin Currie Group. From "Pulse / Quartet" (Nonesuch 2018).
Thanks for listening.
*Here is a listen-back link to listen back to the programme.