The R.I.P. section: We say goodbye to Alèmayèhu Eshèté, the James Brown of Ethiopia’s golden age; the Sudanese tambour harp man, the long-lost, and now finally lost, Abu Obaida Hassan; and Nobesothu Mbadu of South Africa’s Mahotella Queens.
Kandy Guira, from Côte d’Ivoire and Burkina Faso, now resident in France, has accompanied Manu Dibango and Oumou Sangaré.
The Kondi Band are based around Sierra Leonean Sorie Kondi’s 15-pin thumb piano or kondi.
Montparnasse Musique are the production duo of Algerian Frenchman, Nadjib Ben Bella, and South Africa’s Aero Manyelo.
Juçara Marçal is the singer with Brazil’s Metá Metá with a solo album on the way.
The Mamaki Boys are from Niamey in Niger re-releasing their 2007 debut, originally self-released as CD-R.
Badume’s Band hail from Brittany with fiery Ethiopian singer Selamnesh Zemene.
Purbayan Chatterjee is a sitar player in prestigious company on an East-West jazz album.
Kulintang Kultura is a collection of Philippine gong music old and new.
South African multi-instrumentalist, Guy Buttery, is accompanied by Indian masters on sarangi and tabla.
US Iranian singer Katayoun Goudarzi sings Rumi in musical settings designed by sitar virtuoso Shujaat Khan.
The Malawi Mouse Boys issue a poignant and catchy single recorded in front of Nelson’s house.
Susana Baca, the soul of black Peru, has a highly anticipated album on the way.
And another R.I.P: English guitarist and songwriter Michael Chapman, the “fully qualified survivor”, has left us at age 80.
Rick Deitrick is an Ohio-born American solo guitarist whose 1970’s recordings are re-issued with this late ’90’s piece too.
Check the latest Transglobal World Music Chart here
13. Danongan Kalanduyan & Palabuniyan Kulintang Ensemble: “Kapamalong-malong Dance Music II”. From the compilation “Kulintang Kultura: Danongan Kalanduyan & Gong Music of the Philippine Diaspora” (forthcoming on Smithsonian Folkways).
14. Guy Buttery, Mohd. Amjad Khan, Mudassir Khan: “I Know This Place“. From “One Morning In Gurgaon” (Riverboat/World Music Network).
15. Shujaat Husain Khan, Katayoun Goudarzi, Shaho Andalibi & Shariq Mustafa: “Tender”. From “This Pale” (Lycopod Records).
16. Malawi Mouse Boys: “I’m so tired of evil” (Single release).
17. Susana Baca: “Sorongo”. Single from forthcoming album “Palabras Urgentes” (Real World).
18. Rick Deitrick: “Three Sisters”. From “Coyote Canyon” (Tompkins Square 2021).
19. Michael Chapman: “Slowcoach”. From “Trainsong: Guitar Compositions 1967-2010, Vol. 2” (Tompkins Square 2020).
Thanks for listening.
*Here is a listen-back link to listen back to the programme.